Divorce Lawyer Eagle County, CO

Divorce Lawyer Eagle County, COWhen you get a divorce in Colorado, the courts will issue a divorce decree. This decree also referred to as a judgment of dissolution of marriage, is a court order officially terminating your marriage. As a divorce lawyer Eagle County, CO clients recommend can explain, this decree also explains the terms of your divorce and may include:

  •       Who is responsible for making child support payments and how much those payments will be.
  •       Whether one spouse is entitled to maintenance payments and how much those payments will be.
  •       Marital property division and property rights.
  •       Parental responsibilities, including custody arrangements.

But what if circumstances change? Maybe you are the custodial parent, and you lose your job, or you were receiving maintenance payments but now you are getting remarried. Can the divorce terms be modified?

Frequently Asked Questions About Modifying a Divorce Judgment

Q: The terms of my divorce are not very favorable to me. Can I change them?

A: You cannot get the terms changed simply because you do not like them unless your former spouse agrees to the proposed changes. But keep in mind that the court will consider the best interests of your children in signing off on any changes.

Q: When will the court modify my divorce judgment?

A:  It depends on which terms you are trying to modify. If either party can demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances since the judgment was entered, then the court may modify child support, maintenance, and/or parental responsibilities.

Q: What constitutes a substantial change in circumstances?

A: This depends on your situation. For example, if your child becomes ill and requires extensive medical treatment then that likely qualifies as a substantial change. If the party making maintenance payments loses his or her job or starts making less money, then that may constitute a substantial change. Other examples include increased cost-of-living expenses, remarriage of either party and changes in parental responsibilities. An experienced Eagle County, CO divorce lawyer can help determine if the facts of your case constitute a substantial change in circumstances.

Q: I have a substantial change in circumstances. What do I do to get my divorce judgment modified?

A: Contact an experienced divorce attorney. The next step is petitioning the court for the modification that you want. For example, if you want to pay less in maintenance then you must specifically ask for a modification of maintenance. Note that there will be a filing fee, and the court will not approve your request without hearing from your ex-spouse.

An experienced divorce attorney can guide you through both your initial divorce and the modification process.

Let Us Help You with Your Case

If you need family law assistance, do not hesitate to contact a legal professional from Zweig Law, PC Attorneys at Law immediately. Call our office today to schedule a free consultation with an Eagle County, CO divorce lawyer to see if the terms of your divorce judgment can be modified and to ensure your family’s needs are met.