Divorce Lawyer in Colorado
If you want to file for divorce, it’s important to speak to a divorce lawyer in Colorado promptly. A divorce is a complicated ordeal, and you don’t want to go through it all alone. A lawyer can guide you through the entire process and help you avoid making costly mistakes.
How to Get Ready for Divorce Mediation
Divorce doesn’t always have to involve drawn out court battles. More and more divorcing couples are opting for mediation. During mediation, a neutral third-party will help you and your spouse come to a fair agreement in your divorce. Here are a few tips on preparing for divorce mediation:
- Gather the necessary documents. A divorce mediation session will be more productive if you bring the appropriate documents. Some of the documents you may want to take with you include bank statements, a list of real estate owned by you and your spouse, life insurance policies and retirement accounts.
- Have an open mind. The point of mediation is for divorcing couples to come to a mutual agreement. As such, it is critical to go into each mediation session with an open mind. Even if your spouse says something that you don’t initially agree with, take the time to listen to his or her point of view. If you yell or interrupt, you’ll get nowhere.
- Determine what you want to achieve. Before you head off to your first mediation session, sit down and figure out what you want out of your divorce. Perhaps you would like to stay in the family home. Or maybe you would like to have your kids during holidays. Have a good idea about what matters you’re willing to compromise on and what matters you are not willing to compromise on.
- Hire a lawyer. Although mediation is more low-key than going to court, it is still in your best interest to work with a divorce lawyer in Colorado. He or she should sit in during these sessions and make sure that you understand everything.
- Leave your emotions at home. As difficult as it may be, try to put aside your emotions. While you might feel anger, hurt or resentment towards your spouse, it’s important to think rationally during mediation sessions and think about the future. If you allow your emotions to cloud your judgment, mediation may not be successful.
Schedule a consultation with a divorce lawyer in Colorado. Call Zweig Law, PC Attorneys today.