April 17, 2021
Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are some of the most devastating types of vehicle accidents due to their size, weight and difficulty to control. Many commercial truck accidents occur on New York roads each year, injuring and killing many people. Accident victims can hire a lawyer to help them file a claim against the truck driver or company responsible for the accident. One question you may be wondering is who is exactly liable after a truck accident?
How Is Liability Determined?
Determining liability is often difficult because of the number of parties that may be involved in commercial truck accident cases. When you talk with a lawyer, they will gather evidence such as police accident reports and records from the carrier, truck company. A lawyer will review information such as who was working at the time and a summary of the truck’s maintenance report.
Which Parties can Be Held Liable?
A truck accident lawyer in Yonkers, NY, like one from Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. can tell you that one or several parties could be held liable for an accident. In addition to the truck driver and the company that employs them, there are also third-party vendors and cargo owners who work with them. In many cases, it is the truck driver or carrier who is held liable, but it could also be the truck manufacturer, party who owns the cargo, or the government.
Here are some parties that a lawyer may consider as they determine who is liable:
- Truck driver. A truck driver may be pursued for negligence by engaging in behavior such as reckless driving, speeding, and driving under the influence.
- Carrier or trucking company. Truck companies, also known as carriers, must ensure the safety of their drivers. Lack of safety measures and improper training of drivers are some of the reasons that they can be held liable in an accident.
- Truck manufacturer. Truck manufacturers sometimes produce defective parts that lead to cracks, brake failures, or loose objects which can cause an accident.
- Cargo owner. Any issues that occur in the shipping and handling of cargo can be traced back to the cargo owner, who can be held liable.
- Local government. Construction issues or poor freeway designs can result in a serious truck accident.
Contact a Lawyer for Legal Assistance
If you have been involved in a truck accident, work with a lawyer so that you can recover your losses. They will be there for you through every step of the process and ensure that the responsible parties are pursued to the fullest extent. Request a consultation with a skilled truck accident lawyer now.